Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Ghostbed vs Leesa

Ghostbed and Leesa have emerged as the two most popular Casper alternatives in the online mattress space.  I slept on each for a few nights, so I’ll highlight the differences based on the specs and my personal experience.

While I like both Ghostbed and Leesa, they have some distinct differences, and I think it’s easy to decide between them if you understand the mattresses and how they cater to different sleep preferences.

Ghostbed vs Leesa

Key Similarities

  • Both mattresses are sold only online (and delivered in a box)
  • Both have great return polices (home trials) and top notch customer service
  • Both are all foam, with comfort layers aiming to provide a little “bounce”
  • Both have zero interest financing options (Leesa for 6 months, Ghostbed for 12 months)

Key Differences

  • GhostBed has a latex comfort layer, while Leesa has an Avena foam comfort layer (see latex vs avena)
  • Leesa is 10 inches thick, while Ghostbed is 11 inches thick
  • Ghostbed is slightly less expensive:  For a queen, Ghostbed is $700 (with coupon) and Leesa is $790 (with coupon)

Construction

Leesa is 10 inches of foam in total, from top to bottom: 2 inches of Avena foam (a latex-like foam), over 2 inches of 3 lb. density memory foam, over 6 inches of 1.8 lb. density polyfoam.

Ghostbed is 11 inches of foam in total, from top to bottom: 1.5 inches of 3.5 lb Dunlop latex foam, over 2 inches of 4 lb memory foam, over 7.5 inches of 2 lb polyfoam.

Leesa vs Ghostbed Mattress Construction

You notice that Ghostbed densities are higher in each layer.  In terms of feel, especially on day one, the densities don’t really matter (in my opinion).  You should consider them if:

  • You’re a heavier person/couple – higher density foam is typically better if you are a heavier person (think 200+ lbs).  I weigh ~155 lbs, so from that perspective I don’t have any personal experience to share, but it’s something to consider.
  • You’re thinking about durability – a general thought in the mattress industry is a higher density foam will result in better durability.  This isn’t absolutely true, but perhaps something to consider since neither of these mattresses have been around long enough for true customer durability tests.

General Feel

I really liked the feel of both mattresses, both having a little more “spring” than memory foam due to the latex/avena layer.  With both you have more of a sleeping “on” the mattress, rather than sleeping “in” the mattress.  See the feel of the Ghostbed below:

I am a side-sleeper primarily, and both of these mattresses were great on the hips and shoulders when in that position.  If I had to choose for a side sleeper, I would go with Ghostbed, but the race is very close.  They are both great on the back also.  I am not much of a stomach sleeper, but just laying on them I think both are good options, though the Leesa feels particularly nice when on the stomach.

Customer Service/Home Trial/Warranty

Though there are slight differences in certain aspects of each of these (eg the length of the home trial), I think both are stand-outs in the industry in these categories.  Both companies are very customer-centric and provide great buying experiences.

Sleeping Hot

The top layer of Avena (Leesa) and latex (Ghostbed) both aim to keep the mattress from sleeping hot.  I tried both mattresses in the winter (in New York), so they weren’t tested during a hot summer month, but I expect that they will sleep cool as well as most top-tier mattresses even in less-than-ideal conditions.

Leesa Mattress ReviewsPick Leesa if:

  • You are a pure stomach sleeper – in my opinion Leesa just feels especially good when sleeping on your stomach
  • You like the design – Leesa has a very nicely designed cover.  While I think that may not be the best reason to buy a mattress, I know that some of my readers are very aesthetically focused

Learn more in my full Leesa review.

GhostBed Mattress ReviewsPick Ghostbed if:

  • You are price conscious – Ghostbed is noticeably cheaper than Leesa (after applying a coupon for each), and offers 12 month interest-free financing (compared to 6 month interest-free financing from Leesa)
  • You are interested in durability – again this is just speculation based on the foam densities, but I suspect the Ghostbed will hold up slightly better over time
  • You are heavier than average – due to the thicker mattress and denser foam, I think Ghostbed is a better option for heavier people/heavier couples

Learn more in my full Ghostbed review.

Final Recommendation

Both mattresses are great options, I can see why the have risen to be two of the most popular online-only brands.  You can’t go wrong with either mattress, but one may be better for you depending on your sleep preferences.  If you’re a stomach sleeper or are big into design, I’d give the edge to Leesa.  If you’re heavier, thinking about durability, or a side-sleeper, I’d give the edge to Ghostbed.

The post Ghostbed vs Leesa appeared first on Mattress Clarity.

1 comment:

  1. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    amerisleep referral code

    ReplyDelete