Thursday, May 12, 2016

Amerisleep Mattress Review

Amerisleep is a high-quality memory foam mattress company that takes advantage of the online business model, but also goes the extra step to differentiate its mattress by including celliant and using advanced cooling technology, amongst other things.

They have a number of mattresses available, I reviewed the Colonial, one on the higher end of their line.  I really enjoyed the experience, but I had a few complaints as well.  Learn more in my full Amerisleep review.

You will love Amerisleep if you…

  • Want Celliant technology – celliant technology is thought to improve recovery time for athletes.  I’m not able to comment on the efficacy of the technology myself, but there are a number of athletic gear/apparel companies that promote celliant.  Certainly something to consider for athletes.
  • Want to sleep cool – more than any other memory foam brand I’ve seen, Amerisleep goes the extra step to make sure you sleep cool.  See the “Sleeping Cool” cooling section below for construction details.
  • Love memory foam – Amerisleep is the pinnacle of the memory foam experience.  It is of the highest quality, with good density (suggesting good long-term durability), and in my mind competes with the higher-end Tempurpedic models.

Amerisleep Reviews

You may not like Amerisleep if you…

  • Are looking for a low/medium budget option – Amerisleep is definitely pulling out all the stops with their mattresses, and targeting the higher-end consumer (they fall in my best mattress under $2k category)
  • Want more “spring” in the mattress – though Amerisleep isn’t the most “sinking in” memory foam mattress I’ve tried, it does land squarely in the memory foam feel.  It has the benefits of great comfort and support, but if you’re used to innerspring (or even latex), you’re going to notice a significant difference in bounce.

Firmness and Feel

I have the Colonial model, which is one of the softer mattresses that Amerisleep offers.  I think this is a great option for side-sleepers, but I would go with a firmer option (Americana, Revere, or Liberty) if you are a stomach or pure back sleeper.

Though this is a pure memory foam mattress, you can see that that it has a little more spring than average.  It has the typical memory foam feel, but not as much of the “stuck in the bed” feeling that some memory foam mattresses have.

Of course, it doesn’t have as much bounce as a latex or innerspring mattress.

My Experience with Amerisleep

I opted for the Colonial since I’m primarily a side sleeper.  One important thing to note is that it took probably two weeks of sleeping on the mattress for it to soften up.  This isn’t unusual for a foam mattress, but just make sure to bake in an “adjustment” period as you’re evaluating the mattress.

Amerisleep Review
4.6 Reviewer
Summary
Overall I really recommend the mattress. I tried the Colonial, which is a little softer and great for side-sleeping. The Celliant technology is industry, but personally I didn't appreciate it or notice a significant impact during my short trial. I will say the mattress slept very cool, and delivers a great comfort/support tradeoff.
Comfort4.5
Support4.7
Value (Price)4.1
Doesn't Sleep Hot4.4
Motion Transfer4.8
Edge Support4.7
Materials/Durability4.6
Company Reputation4.4
Return Policy/Warranty4.7
Overall Sleep Experience4.7

During the first week I enjoyed the mattress, but part way through the second week I started to really love it.  For a side sleeper it’s a really great option, it’s one of the best pressure-relieving mattresses I have tried for the hips and shoulder.

Of course I noted the Celliant technology, but I can’t say that I noticed a very obvious difference in falling asleep time or recovery time after a workout.  That being said, I’m not super-sensitive to either of those, so it would be hard to notice a really obvious improvement for me personally.

Celliant Infused Cover

The Celliant infused cover makes it such that the celliant fabric has contact with your body, which I believe is best practice for getting the most out of the technology.

Amerisleep Mattress Celliant Infused Cover

Celliant technology takes your body heat and turns it into infrared light, which aims to help recovery for athletes and may even help you fall asleep faster.

Amerisleep Motion Transfer Test

I do the motion transfer test to see if a mattress will be a good option for couples.  See the results below:

As expected of a high quality memory foam mattress, Amerisleep performs exceedingly well.  Additionally, the Amerisleep has great edge support for a foam mattress, which makes the mattress actually feel bigger (you can sleep closer to the edge comfortably).  This makes it better for sleeping with a partner as well.

Construction

In addition to the Celliant infused cover, the Amerisleep Colonial consists of:

  • Top layer: 2 inches Bio-Pur+ Foam
  • Transition layer: 4 inches Affinity Layer with Surface Modification Technology
  • Base layer: 7 inches Bio-core foam

Amerisleep Mattress Construction

What is Bio-Pur (and Bio-Pur+) Foam?

Bio-Pur foam is 4 lb density memory foam, which is used in all of the Amerisleep mattresses.  The Bio-Pur+ foam is different (present in the Colonial I reviewed), which is altered for additional air flow (for sleeping more cool).

What is Surface Modification Technology (SMT)?

This is present in some of Amerisleep’s models (it is included in the Colonial).  Giant rollers are used to create channels into the bottom of the foam, which aim to improve air flow and help the mattress sleep cooler.

Other things to note

  • They offer a strong warranty, 20 years, 10 years full replacement and 10 years pro-rated
  • All models are made in the USA
  • They offer a 90 night sleep trial (full refund within 90 days)

Final Recommendation

Amerisleep definitely falls in the top tier of mattresses I have reviewed.  The Celliant technology wasn’t such a draw for me, but for some readers I know that’s definitely of interest.  I do like that they have multiple firmness options as well, which unfortunately is somewhat unique in the online-only space.

If you are looking for a luxury memory foam mattress, I think that Amerisleep is definitely worthy of consideration.

The post Amerisleep Mattress Review appeared first on Mattress Clarity.

1 comment:

  1. Amerisleep Liberty 12 inch natural memory foam mattress has been one of the best mattresses rated by amazon users. It's medium soft profile gives support for side, back and stomach sleepers. The mattress comes with a 3 inch Bio-Pur memory foam cooling layer and 2 inch affinity transition layer and a 7” Bio-Core sag-free support layer. The Celliant infused cover is clinically proven to help you fall asleep faster and sleep longer.

    Users reported the mattress to be ultra comfortable. It has been delivering the same quality of sleep, even after 1 year. Also, the customer service was very good.

    ReplyDelete